Saturday 17 January 2015

Small Things To Change Your Life Series: Tale #1




For my first STTCYL Tale, I've dug deep into my childhood and found a story which I'm sure many of you have already heard. Aesop's Fables were a favourite of mine whilst growing up and I have found this still applies strongly today. Although Aesop's moral of this story is different to the moral I thought of whilst reading it, I think both are equally important. I also love the fact that I read a different meaning into this fable than the one originally intended. That is the beauty of literature: you can read a story and take from it what you will, even if the author never intended it. It's like a lesson in which the teacher didn't mean to give you, but you take from it more than they would have ever imagined. 

The Lion and the Mouse - An Aesop's Fable



Once when a Lion was asleep a little Mouse began running up and down upon him; this soon wakened the Lion, who placed his huge paw upon him, and opened his big jaws to swallow him. "Pardon, O King," cried the little Mouse: "forgive me this time, I shall never forget it: who knows but what I may be able to do you a turn some of these days?" The Lion was so tickled at the idea of the Mouse being able to help him, that he lifted up his paw and let him go. Some time after the Lion was caught in a trap, and the hunters who desired to carry him alive to the King, tied him to a tree while they went in search of a wagon to carry him on. Just then the little Mouse happened to pass by, and seeing the sad plight in which the Lion was, went up to him and soon gnawed away the ropes that bound the King of the Beasts. "Was I not right?" said the little Mouse.

Aesop's Moral: Little friends may prove great friends 
My Moral: Never judge too early
My Other Moral: What goes around comes around

So, although the Lion thought the Mouse was being incredibly funny by claiming he could one day return the favour, he definitely would never regret it. What goes around comes around applies in everyday circumstances. If you treat someone badly, how do you expect them to treat you nicely back? If you forgive someone, they are much more likely to forgive you in the future. Treat those around as you would like to be treated, and soon they'll treat you that way. 

You've all heard the expression "never judge a book by its cover" meaning you should never make assumptions about somebody until you know their story. It's easy to avoid someone, just because you may have heard something about them or just generally assume they wouldn't be someone you'd like. STOP THAT! Take a chance on everybody you meet. The lion assume the mouse could never help him, just because he was mouse.

Lastly, be kind to all. You never know what could happen if you're not. I know sometimes being kind or civil is the last thing on your mind but just step back and think about others for a bit. It is never too late to apologise. It is never too late to forgive. 


I promise you that nothing feels better than making someone smile or laugh. This is one of the smallest things in our world; a two second grin or giggle may not seem too significant but trust me, there is no greater joy than bringing joy to others.


"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." 

-Henry James

Have a fabulous Sunday,
Heaps of Love,
Maddy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com